- Our final Scholastic order is due May 2nd. Our class code is MBNGY. If you would like to purchase some books for your child to read over the summer, please place the order online by May 2nd.
- Cimarron trip is April 25th (See below for details)
- Field Day is scheduled for May 23rd, which is different than the original date I provided of May 11th.
- Our 5th Grade picnic will take place at Tillman Park (across from Legend High School) on May 25th from approximately 10:00-1:30. Parents are encouraged to pack a bag lunch and join us for a day of fun. Students will be provided with a picnic lunch.
- Our 5th grade slideshow will follow the picnic. At 1:30, as students are loading the buses, parents are welcome to head back to the GRE gym to view our end-of-year slideshow. More information about the last day of school will be sent home in May.
Reading- During reader's workshop, students are learning how to synthesize information. To do this, they are identify what they already know, combining their knowledge with something new from the text and creating a new thought or idea. As we wrap up the school year, we will revisit all of the reading strategies we have learned this year and apply them to our final round of book clubs. During individual conferences, students will continue to work on and discuss their personal goals.
Writing- Our final unit of writing will focus on informational writing. Students are currently researching different topics related to Colonial America. They will apply the mini lessons from our writer's workshop to create an informational paper on the topic of their choice. We will then integrate the American Revolution into our second paper. Students will continue to use our Lucy Calkin's checklist to create personal goals to improve their writing and to obtain the goals we set during spring conferences. All published pieces will be available through Google Classroom.
Social Studies- We are integrating social studies into both reading and writing. Students are learning how to synthesize information as they learn about early colonies and research their topic for their informational writing piece.
Math- We are spending a few days reviewing multiplication and division strategies to ensure that all students feel confident with these concepts before transitioning into middle school. Then we will move into interpreting data and creating charts.
Field Trip- Students will be taking a quick field trip over to Cimarron Middle School April 25th. The trip will allow students to tour the school and ask questions they have concerning 6th grade. There is no cost, but a completed permission slip is required for all students. Slips will be sent home today, April 12th, and need to be returned as soon as possible.